There are Angels Among us and some Jackasses, too.

I thought "A Jack Ass Standing In the Snow" would be a good title for this story.
This story does not require your belief.

December 2011:
One day this week, I was standing on the street corner letting my ancient dog rest. It was 23 degrees and a little windy. I looked up the empty streets in three directions, I could see at least a quarter mile in every direction and nothing moving, not a person or car in sight. I lit my pipe and a voice behind me said, "Don't let me frighten you, I'm approaching behind you." The statement was odd, I turned to see a very sweet face of an elderly woman dressed for the weather, standing still. It was like she had dropped from nowhere. She started towards me about twenty feet away and her footfalls made no sound. I could clearly hear my dog's pant, the movement of my own feet, but her footfalls made no sound. She said as she approached again. "I really didn't want to frighten you." Again, strange statement since nothing about her was frightening, except the fact that a split second before she had not been there and seemed to have materialized out of thin air. I immediately questioned in my mind if I was as observant as I thought. "That was a casual glance" I mentally said as I answered, "You're okay."
She said as she passed by me, "Just keep doing what you are doing." It had the impact on me of an officer saying, 'as you were."
I said, "I can't call it walking with this old dog, he is sixteen and he takes me for mopes."
She hesitated, turned and said, "That's not what I'm saying, keep doing what you are doing. You've been fasting for a long time and have many days before the feast."
Her saying "fasting" brought to mind this sentence, "Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?" so I knew the Holy Spirit had just spoken answering my specific prayer, answering a question that had lingered for a few weeks. Even though she seemed to come from nowhere, I wasn't sure if she were a neighbor or an angel or maybe a Saint. But when she turned and walked "through" my neighbor's six-foot wooden fence, like it wasn't there, I knew she wasn't an ordinary stranger. And there I stood, just another dumbfounded Jack Ass Standing in the Snow.


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

0024 Volumes 36 - 40 How Blinding is Your Worldview

0024 How Blinding is Your Worldview Vol One thru Ten

Jay Dyer's Geopolitics Basic Book List